Saturday, August 1, 2015

Blue Moon 2015


After a month trying to stay on top of commitments and projects needed for NecronomiCon-Providence, I wanted to do some work that was just about itself and the moment, and the occasion of a blue moon- the second full moon in the month of July- seemed right. It wasn't blue, of course, but it was an excuse to use Ampersand's scratchboard/clayboard inks for the first time.

At first I thought to place the moon in a Lovecraftian context, either over the bog of Kilderry or the ruins of Ib, then found a simple design to be the most evocative: a fantastic toad against a large moon.

The blue ink went on very dark- too dark- which I unsuccessfully tried to dilute and scrub away. It set very fast, though, and thinking the scratchboard ruined, I put it away for the night.

With the board completely dry the following morning, I scratched away some of the paint to give the toad highlights, and suddenly his figure stood out against the blue moon. For a piece I thought lost, it works nicely. I'll need to experiment with Ampersand's ink more to become accustomed to application and drying... in the meantime I'll continue to use watercolors that provide a wider spectrum of color at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment